AP Biology A is taught at the same level as a first-year college biology class. In this course, the student will develop a framework for biology and gain a deeper understanding of science as a process. Some of the major themes throughout this course include organic molecules and free energy changes, prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells, cellular energetics, heredity, and molecular genetics. This course adheres closely to the College Board standards for AP Biology and will prepare the student to take the AP Biology Exam.
Students should successfully complete Algebra I, Biology, and Chemistry prior to enrolling in this course.
Student participation in this course is documented by the following:
- Coursework submissions recorded by the learning management system.
- Participation verified by the virtual education teacher for time spent working offline.
- Academic-based communication between the student and virtual education teacher or learning coach and virtual education teacher.
- Synchronous time with the class, a group or the virtual education teacher recorded by the learning management system or teacher.
- The virtual education teacher verifies participation in the course 1-3 times a week.
- Virtual education teacher verifies participation 1 to 3 times weekly