In this first of two courses that compromise Chemistry, the student will explore the fundamental concepts of chemistry as he engages in reading and responding exercises, hands-on and virtual lab experiments, and interdisciplinary problem-solving activities. The student will build on prior knowledge to learn how to model the structure of an atom, analyze the periodic table of elements, represent and interpret reactions between atoms and molecules, and perform calculations to solve problems in chemistry. The course provides many opportunities for the student to apply these concepts to real-world situations.
It is recommended that students complete a standard Algebra course before enrolling in this course.
Student participation in this course is documented by the following:
- Coursework submissions recorded by the learning management system.
- Participation verified by the virtual education teacher for time spent working offline.
- Academic-based communication between the student and virtual education teacher or learning coach and virtual education teacher.
- Synchronous time with the class, a group or the virtual education teacher recorded by the learning management system or teacher.
- The virtual education teacher verifies participation in the course 1-3 times a week.
- Virtual education teacher verifies participation 1 to 3 times weekly