This is the first of two courses that comprise Explorations in Mathematics. This course is designed to provide the student with a solid mathematics foundation. The student will explore properties of rational numbers including divisibility patterns, prime factorization, greatest common factor, and least common multiple. The student will add, subtract, multiply, and divide rational numbers. Then, the student will identify and solve expressions and equations using variables. Finally, the student will use properties, including the Associative Property, Commutative Property, and Distributive Property, to solve and simplify equations.
This is a high school course, which prepares students for Pre-Algebra.
Student participation in this course is documented by the following:
- Coursework submissions recorded by the learning management system.
- Participation verified by the virtual education teacher for time spent working offline.
- Academic-based communication between the student and virtual education teacher or learning coach and virtual education teacher.
- Synchronous time with the class, a group or the virtual education teacher recorded by the learning management system or teacher.
- The virtual education teacher verifies participation in the course 1-3 times a week.
- Virtual education teacher verifies participation 1 to 3 times weekly