In this course, the student will develop reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills essential for future success. The student will become an accomplished reader by engaging in daily phonics and spelling practice. The student will also expand his vocabulary as he learns to use an array of strategies and skills including main idea, problem and solution, and author's purpose to comprehend complex texts. The texts the student will examine include a variety of fiction and nonfiction stories presented in McGraw Hill's Wonders. The stories are organized into relevant themes such as friends and family, live and learn, and our life, our world. As the student explores each theme, he will discover connections to familiar subjects, including science and social studies. He will also enjoy daily independent reading routines.
Connections Education LLC dba Pearson Virtual Schools USA, its schools and affiliates use information technology as a means of providing equality of opportunity to the greatest number of people, including people with disabilities. Connections aims to create a culture of accessibility through education. Connections is committed to working with the schools it supports in developing accessible websites and other electronic information to the Technical Standards and principles set forth in Section 508 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Federal law requires all public schools to provide students, regardless of disability, with an equal opportunity to participate in and benefit from the school’s education program. Students have 24-hour assistance in LMS and technical support.
Student participation in this course is documented by the following:
- Coursework submissions recorded by the learning management system.
- Participation verified by the virtual education teacher for time spent working offline.
- Academic-based communication between the student and virtual education teacher or learning coach and virtual education teacher.
- Synchronous time with the class, a group or the virtual education teacher recorded by the learning management system or teacher.
- The virtual education teacher verifies participation in the course 1-3 times a week.
- Virtual education teacher verifies participation 1 to 3 times weekly