In this course, the student will read longer and more complex stories. The student will become a more critical and insightful reader, and continue to examine the author's purpose and point of view. The student will use his critical thinking and reading comprehension skills to analyze fiction and nonfiction stories presented in Scott Foresman's -Reading Street-. The stories are organized according to themes, including challenges, doing the right thing, and artists and inventions. These themes invite the student to view reading as a tool for information gathering, and the themes help the student make connections across science and social studies. In addition to formal reading instruction, the student will establish a daily reading routine. This course focuses on structure, format, and grammar. The basic writing content concentrates on writing quality sentences, organizing paragraphs, summary writing, and adding detail to writing. The student will continue to use effective planning tools such as graphic organizers, word planners, and outlines to create well-organized compositions. The student will write creative, factual, descriptive, artistic, and persuasive compositions that tie together all the skills learned in the course. The student will continue to master spelling, grammar, and language skills. -Reading Street ---offers spelling lists based on the patterns and relationship of letters within words. Daily practice activities reinforce the spelling strategies and give the student opportunities to use spelling words in context. Objectives derived from Pearson Education programs © Pearson Education, Inc., or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
Student participation in this course is documented by the following:
- Coursework submissions recorded by the learning management system.
- Participation verified by the virtual education teacher for time spent working offline.
- Academic-based communication between the student and virtual education teacher or learning coach and virtual education teacher.
- Synchronous time with the class, a group or the virtual education teacher recorded by the learning management system or teacher.
- The virtual education teacher verifies participation in the course 1-3 times a week.
- Virtual education teacher verifies participation 1 to 3 times weekly