In this course, students build a foundation for successful reading as they explore topics and apply reading, writing, speaking, and listening practices outlined in the Common Core State Standards and other state standards. Learning activities consist of phonics, listening, comprehension, and vocabulary instruction with daily exposure to books, including literature and informational texts. A combination of interactive and hands-on exercises encourages the development of fine motor skills. Students learn language skills as well as letter formation, and they practice these with drawing, dictating, and writing. By the end of kindergarten, many students will be reading, and all students should be able to recognize consonant as well as long and short vowel sounds.
Connections Education LLC dba Pearson Virtual Schools USA, its schools and affiliates use information technology as a means of providing equality of opportunity to the greatest number of people, including people with disabilities. Connections aims to create a culture of accessibility through education. Connections is committed to working with the schools it supports in developing accessible websites and other electronic information to the Technical Standards and principles set forth in Section 508 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Federal law requires all public schools to provide students, regardless of disability, with an equal opportunity to participate in and benefit from the school’s education program. Students have 24-hour assistance in LMS and technical support.
Student participation in this course is documented by the following:
- Coursework submissions recorded by the learning management system.
- Participation verified by the virtual education teacher for time spent working offline.
- Academic-based communication between the student and virtual education teacher or learning coach and virtual education teacher.
- Synchronous time with the class, a group or the virtual education teacher recorded by the learning management system or teacher.
- The virtual education teacher verifies participation in the course 1-3 times a week.
- Virtual education teacher verifies participation 1 to 3 times weekly