In this course, the student will continue to expand his or her knowledge of mathematical concepts, which are organized according to the following categories: number and operations, algebra, geometry, measurement, data analysis, and probability. Within each category, concepts are developed through the mathematical processes of problem solving, reasoning, communication, connections, and representations. Building both conceptual knowledge and procedural fluency supports the students development of mathematical thinking and reasoning in solving various problems of authentic contexts. The Scott Foresman and Addison Wesley series textbook, envisionMATH, is the primary resource for this course. The topics that are presented in this semester build upon the concepts that the student previously learned. Numbers will be connected to geometry as the student identifies and draws attributes of two- and three-dimensional shapes. The student will engage in hands-on learning of measurement by finding length, area, perimeter, volume, capacity, weight, mass, time, and temperature, using the appropriate tools and units. Customary and metric systems of measurement will be studied, and the student will convert within the same measurement system to solve problems. The student will also connect numbers to statistics as he or she learns to gather data, display the data in graphs, and interpret the information using median, range, and mode. Finally, the student will explore probability by listing possible outcomes of a given event, conducting experiments, and representing the probability of the event as a fraction.
Student participation in this course is documented by the following:
- Coursework submissions recorded by the learning management system.
- Participation verified by the virtual education teacher for time spent working offline.
- Academic-based communication between the student and virtual education teacher or learning coach and virtual education teacher.
- Synchronous time with the class, a group or the virtual education teacher recorded by the learning management system or teacher.
- The virtual education teacher verifies participation in the course 1-3 times a week.
- Virtual education teacher verifies participation 1 to 3 times weekly