This is the first of two courses that comprise Pre-Algebra. In this course, the student will be introduced to basic algebraic principles. The student will review properties of expressions and integers. The student will solve one-step equations and inequalities with positive and negative integers, decimals, fractions, and exponents. Then, the student will explore problems involving decimals and fractions and learn to apply the rules of divisibility to solving expressions. Finally, the student will apply their knowledge of algebra to solve real-world ratio, proportion, and percent problems. The semester ends with lessons devoted specifically to test-taking skills and strategies, which reinforce the skills taught throughout the semester.
Student participation in this course is documented by the following:
- Coursework submissions recorded by the learning management system.
- Participation verified by the virtual education teacher for time spent working offline.
- Academic-based communication between the student and virtual education teacher or learning coach and virtual education teacher.
- Synchronous time with the class, a group or the virtual education teacher recorded by the learning management system or teacher.
- The virtual education teacher verifies participation in the course 1-3 times a week.
- Virtual education teacher verifies participation 1 to 3 times weekly