Studying science helps us understand the world around us as well as the world that existed before us. The McGraw-Hill textbook -Science: A Closer Look- and the science kit are the primary resources for this course. The student will study the major branches of science as he performs hands-on activities. The life science units explore different organisms and their habitats. The Earth science units investigate Earth's resources and physical composition. The lessons in this course are designed to accommodate a variety of learning styles and to provide a variety of opportunities for the entire family to participate in the student's education. Some lessons, or groups of lessons, in each unit are activity-centered, which allows the student to engage the new concepts he encounters through exploration and discovery; others are more traditional, requiring the student to read, research, and reflect on the underlying theory.
Student participation in this course is documented by the following:
- Coursework submissions recorded by the learning management system.
- Participation verified by the virtual education teacher for time spent working offline.
- Academic-based communication between the student and virtual education teacher or learning coach and virtual education teacher.
- Synchronous time with the class, a group or the virtual education teacher recorded by the learning management system or teacher.
- The virtual education teacher verifies participation in the course 1-3 times a week.
- Virtual education teacher verifies participation 1 to 3 times weekly