Welcome to Science 8, an innovative course based on the framework for the Next Generation Science standards (NGSS). NGSS focuses on science and engineering practices; Earth, life and physical science core ideas; and fundamental crosscutting concepts vital to relating the various fields of science and developing a scientific world view. The course provides the student opportunities to engage in inquiry-based investigations, STEM (Science Technology Engineering Mathematics) projects, and other dynamic activities. Hands-on and online activities encourage the student to make connections, collaborate, and reflect on his or her learning. Because the course is designed to meet both national and state-based standards, the sequence of content will vary by state.
Student participation in this course is documented by the following:
- Coursework submissions recorded by the learning management system.
- Participation verified by the virtual education teacher for time spent working offline.
- Academic-based communication between the student and virtual education teacher or learning coach and virtual education teacher.
- Synchronous time with the class, a group or the virtual education teacher recorded by the learning management system or teacher.
- The virtual education teacher verifies participation in the course 1-3 times a week.
- Virtual education teacher verifies participation 1 to 3 times weekly