In Science 1, students will make observations about light, sound, matter, plants, animals, and the sky to thoroughly think about problems and ask questions. Students will discover and explore patterns to understand the relationships between objects, animals, and the environment. Students will work individually and collaboratively to compare and test designs to develop solutions. Students will also plan and conduct investigations to produce data as evidence and use a variety of devices to communicate results.
Student participation in this course is documented by the following:
- Student active time in course logged by the learning management system.
- Performance and Progress Summary and Student Engagement reports in LMS. Progress shows percent complete, which is checked against the percent of the school year that has elapsed. If off pace, Student Engagement shows daily time (sum of offline time entered daily in LMS by teacher). Time to be considered present for the course is 30 minutes per day, for a typical 5-day week, 150 minutes (time threshold is based off of the number of in-session days on the school calendar for the week considered).
- Participation verified by the virtual education teacher for time spent working offline.
- Academic-based communication between the student and virtual education teacher or learning coach and virtual education teacher.
- If a student has not met participation thresholds for being considered present as tracked in LMS for the week, but virtual education teacher can confirm that the student has an IEP, and the student has satisfied what was required according to the IEP, the student will be counted present.
- Synchronous time with the class, a group or the virtual education teacher recorded by the learning management system or teacher.
- The virtual education teacher verifies participation in the course 1-3 times a week.
- After each week during the school year, Information Specialist runs reports in LMS and determines presence status based on criteria as described in LMSOther. Presence determination from this information is emailed to Virtual Education Teacher, who reviews and approves or explains why presence status as determined from LMS information is not correct. Attendance recorded in SIS is what Virtual Education Teacher determines after review of information from LMS and consideration of any circumstances as explained in VETOther.