This course provides a comprehensive and interrelated sequence of lessons for students to continue building their proficiency in literature and comprehension, writing skills, vocabulary, spelling, and handwriting. Literature and Comprehension: A guided reading approach builds comprehension strategies and gradually transitions students to independent reading assignments. Leveled reading selections progressively expose students to new challenges including greater length, more complex content, and new vocabulary. The emphasis is on classic literature from many cultures, poetry, and nonfiction articles. Students also make their own reading choices to help foster a lifelong love of reading. Writing Skills: Students learn about parts of speech, usage, capitalization, and punctuation, then apply this knowledge as they write sentences and paragraphs. Students are introduced to the process of writing, as they pre-write, draft, revise, and proofread their work before they share it with others. Written products include letters, poems, literature reviews, research reports, and presentations. Vocabulary: Students increase their vocabulary through word study, comprehension, and word analysis, then apply their knowledge in a variety of authentic contexts. Spelling: Students continue their exploration of spelling conventions with lessons in sound-symbol relationships and patterns. Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears helps students develop printing skills and, if appropriate, begin cursive handwriting.
Washakie County School District No. 1 makes every effort to ensure accessibility and usability of course content for all students.
Student participation in this course is documented by the following:
- Student active time in course logged by the learning management system.
- Coursework submissions recorded by the learning management system.
- Discussion Boards, Sign-in Sheets
- Academic-based communication between the student and virtual education teacher or learning coach and virtual education teacher.
- The virtual education teacher verifies participation in the course 1-3 times a week.
- Students are assigned a designated Learning Coach/Mentor who will monitor participate and progress for this course.