This one-semester elective is designed to increase students knowledge of and ability in using the skills necessary for everyday living. Life Skills emphasizes defining personal values, goal-setting and planning, and solving problems. Instructional material focuses on dealing with media and peer pressure, communication and relationships, working with others, avoiding and/or resolving conflict, decision-making, wellness and personal safety, aspects of good citizenship, environmental awareness, and how students can contribute to their own community. The course is organized in six units: Course Introduction; Thinking About Yourself; Thinking for Yourself; Taking Care of Yourself; Caring for Your Relationships; and Caring About Your World. COURSE OBJECTIVES: Clarify personal values and set personal, academic, and occupational goals Make and follow plans to achieve personal, academic, or occupational goals. Gather and evaluate information from a variety of sources. Apply information analysis and decision-making skills to real-life choices. Develop and implement solution ideas for real-life problems. Create personalized eating, exercise and health-care programs that synthesize personal preferences with current nutritional and health recommendations. Demonstrate the use of appropriate safety precautions at home, work or school, and when traveling. Communicate skillfully with diverse people in a variety of situations. Apply conflict prevention and resolutions skills, including refusal skills. Research and demonstrate ways to make valuable contributions as a member of a team, community citizen, and/or volunteer. Analyze personal environmental impact and develop a plan to improve it.
Washakie County School District No. 1 makes every effort to ensure accessibility and usability of course content for all students.
Student participation in this course is documented by the following:
- Student active time in course logged by the learning management system.
- Coursework submissions recorded by the learning management system.
- Discussion Boards, Sign-in Sheets
- Academic-based communication between the student and virtual education teacher or learning coach and virtual education teacher.
- The virtual education teacher verifies participation in the course 1-3 times a week.
- Students are assigned a designated Learning Coach/Mentor who will monitor participate and progress for this course.