This research-based course focuses on computational fluency, conceptual understanding, and problem solving. This engaging course features new graphics, learning tools, and games; adaptive activities that help struggling students master concepts and skills before moving on; and more support for Learning Coaches to guide their students to success. This course continues to emphasize the understanding of numbers and operations. There is a focus on computational fluency in addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of whole numbers. The course enhances fluency of operations through application in the solving of measurement, geometry, and data analysis problems using mathematical problem-solving techniques. Students make connections between fraction and decimal representation of numbers. Students study equivalences and relationships between fractions and decimals on the number line and with other models. Students develop algebraic thinking as they work with variables and formulas to solve multistep word problems and as they study patterns and rules. They extend their knowledge of geometry through more in-depth classification of shapes and work with lines, angles, and rotations and the connection of geometric concepts to measurement and problem solving. This course includes standards-based tasks, digital literacy skills, and assessment questions.
Washakie County School District No. 1 makes every effort to ensure accessibility and usability of course content for all students.
Student participation in this course is documented by the following:
- Student active time in course logged by the learning management system.
- Coursework submissions recorded by the learning management system.
- Discussion Boards, Sign-in Sheets
- Academic-based communication between the student and virtual education teacher or learning coach and virtual education teacher.
- The virtual education teacher verifies participation in the course 1-3 times a week.
- Students are assigned a designated Learning Coach/Mentor who will monitor participate and progress for this course.