This research-based course focuses on computational fluency, conceptual understanding, and problem solving. This engaging course features new graphics, learning tools, and games; adaptive activities that help struggling students master concepts and skills before moving on; and more support for Learning Coaches to guide their students to success. This course builds on student understanding of numbers and operations by making connections between place value, decimals, and fractions; introducing multiplication and division of decimal numbers; and extending understanding of fraction operations. The course focuses on computational fluency in multiplication and division of whole numbers through the use of standard algorithms. The course enhances fluency of operations with whole numbers, fractions, and decimals through application in the solving of measurement, geometry, and data-analysis problems using mathematical problem-solving techniques. Students continue to develop algebraic thinking as they work with variables and formulas to solve multistep word problems; they further study patterns and rules; and they are introduced to representing problems graphically using the coordinate plane. They extend their knowledge of geometry through the use of the classification of shapes into hierarchies based on their attributes, the introduction of three-dimensional figures and volume, and the connection of geometric concepts to measurement and problem solving. This course includes standards-based tasks, digital literacy skills, and assessment questions.
Washakie County School District No. 1 makes every effort to ensure accessibility and usability of course content for all students.
Student participation in this course is documented by the following:
- Student active time in course logged by the learning management system.
- Coursework submissions recorded by the learning management system.
- Discussion Boards, Sign-in Sheets
- Academic-based communication between the student and virtual education teacher or learning coach and virtual education teacher.
- The virtual education teacher verifies participation in the course 1-3 times a week.
- Students are assigned a designated Learning Coach/Mentor who will monitor participate and progress for this course.