This fun, interactive course for middle school students is filled with diverse, multimedia language activities. Students continue their language-learning adventure by progressing to this next level of middle school Spanish. The instruction is equivalent to that found in the first semester of High School Spanish I. Students begin their introduction to Spanish by focusing on the four key areas of foreign language study: listening, speaking, reading, and writing. The course represents an ideal blend of language learning pedagogy and online learning. Each unit consists of a new vocabulary theme and grammar concept, reading and listening comprehension activities, speaking and writing activities, multimedia cultural presentations, and interactive activities and practices which reinforce vocabulary and grammar. There is a strong emphasis on providing context and conversational examples for the language concepts presented in each unit. Students should expect to be actively engaged in their own language learning, become familiar with common vocabulary terms and phrases, comprehend a wide range of grammar patterns, participate in simple conversations and respond appropriately to basic conversational prompts, analyze and compare cultural practices, products, and perspectives of various Spanish-speaking countries, and take frequent assessments where their language progression can be monitored. The course has been carefully aligned to national standards as set forth by ACTFL (the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages).
WOL-MS Spanish I-A or Recommendation of Instructor
Washakie County School District No. 1 makes every effort to ensure accessibility and usability of course content for all students.
Student participation in this course is documented by the following:
- Student active time in course logged by the learning management system.
- Coursework submissions recorded by the learning management system.
- Discussion Boards, Sign-in Sheets
- Academic-based communication between the student and virtual education teacher or learning coach and virtual education teacher.
- The virtual education teacher verifies participation in the course 1-3 times a week.
- Students are assigned a designated Learning Coach/Mentor who will monitor participate and progress for this course.