Designed for students in grades K–2, this course explores differences between music and everyday sounds, and also how the body hears and responds to music. Aligning to the National Core Arts Standards, the course introduces skills that assist the student in making music individually and with another person. The student will identify instrument characteristics and sounds and begin to consider the way music of the student’s own culture might sound different to a person from another culture. With audio, visual, and interactive technologies, this course provides a unique and advanced learning experience.
In the Connections Education music program, the three levels within each grade band are not directly connected to grade level, as each course within a band is a prerequisite for the next course. For instance, a student entering third, fourth, or fifth grade may be placed into the Discovering Music I course. Students should be placed in the appropriate course within their grade band.
Connections Education LLC dba Pearson Virtual Schools USA, its schools and affiliates use information technology as a means of providing equality of opportunity to the greatest number of people, including people with disabilities. Connections aims to create a culture of accessibility through education. Connections is committed to working with the schools it supports in developing accessible websites and other electronic information to the Technical Standards and principles set forth in Section 508 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Federal law requires all public schools to provide students, regardless of disability, with an equal opportunity to participate in and benefit from the school’s education program. Students have 24-hour assistance in LMS and technical support.
Student participation in this course is documented by the following:
- Coursework submissions recorded by the learning management system.
- Participation verified by the virtual education teacher for time spent working offline.
- Academic-based communication between the student and virtual education teacher or learning coach and virtual education teacher.
- Synchronous time with the class, a group or the virtual education teacher recorded by the learning management system or teacher.
- The virtual education teacher verifies participation in the course 1-3 times a week.
- Virtual education teacher verifies participation 1 to 3 times weekly