This is the second of two courses that comprise English 11. In this course, the student will focus on the literary movements in American literature, and trace the chronology of national literature from the modernist through the contemporary period. In reading and responding to these diverse literature selections, the student will gain a thorough understanding of a myriad of fiction and nonfiction genres, including short stories, essays, poetry, drama, memoirs, and autobiographies. The student will also read F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel -The Great Gatsby-. Ernest Hemingway's novella -The Old Man and the Sea- may be read instead of -The Great Gatsby-. In reading these American literature selections, the student will understand longer works of literature in their historical and literary context. Writing instruction guides the students through the process of composing a literary analysis and a research paper. Throughout the course, the student expands his
Connections Education LLC dba Pearson Virtual Schools USA, its schools and affiliates use information technology as a means of providing equality of opportunity to the greatest number of people, including people with disabilities. Connections aims to create a culture of accessibility through education. Connections is committed to working with the schools it supports in developing accessible websites and other electronic information to the Technical Standards and principles set forth in Section 508 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Federal law requires all public schools to provide students, regardless of disability, with an equal opportunity to participate in and benefit from the school’s education program. Students have 24-hour assistance in LMS and technical support.
Student participation in this course is documented by the following:
- Coursework submissions recorded by the learning management system.
- Participation verified by the virtual education teacher for time spent working offline.
- Academic-based communication between the student and virtual education teacher or learning coach and virtual education teacher.
- Synchronous time with the class, a group or the virtual education teacher recorded by the learning management system or teacher.
- The virtual education teacher verifies participation in the course 1-3 times a week.
- Virtual education teacher verifies participation 1 to 3 times weekly