In this course, the student studies and analyzes examples of explanatory, informational, and argumentative texts. Throughout the course curiosity, interpretation, and reflection are encouraged as the student practices reading comprehension through analogy and allusion in works by O. Henry and Roald Dahl. The student will learn to make connections between reading and the world around them as they read interesting texts about Female WWII Pilots and the Invention of the Popsicle. Their academic vocabulary and communication skills will be expanded through the exploration of word choice and meaning.? This course presents strategies to strengthen writing skills through grammar, punctuation, and sentence and paragraph structure.? The student will refine, reinforce and apply these skills though their own explanatory and persuasive compositions. Throughout the course, the student will engage in activities that promote critical thinking, explore increasingly complex conceptual relationships, and encourage them to be curious about the world they live in and explore ways to test and apply their ideas.
Connections Education LLC dba Pearson Virtual Schools USA, its schools and affiliates use information technology as a means of providing equality of opportunity to the greatest number of people, including people with disabilities. Connections aims to create a culture of accessibility through education. Connections is committed to working with the schools it supports in developing accessible websites and other electronic information to the Technical Standards and principles set forth in Section 508 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Federal law requires all public schools to provide students, regardless of disability, with an equal opportunity to participate in and benefit from the school’s education program. Students have 24-hour assistance in LMS and technical support.
Student participation in this course is documented by the following:
- Coursework submissions recorded by the learning management system.
- Participation verified by the virtual education teacher for time spent working offline.
- Academic-based communication between the student and virtual education teacher or learning coach and virtual education teacher.
- Synchronous time with the class, a group or the virtual education teacher recorded by the learning management system or teacher.
- The virtual education teacher verifies participation in the course 1-3 times a week.
- Virtual education teacher verifies participation 1 to 3 times weekly