Science 8A uses multiple media sources to foster scientific inquiry and spark curiosity as the student explores topics in the physical sciences. Throughout this course, the student will discover ways that scientists use data, models, and technology to gather and apply information. The student will learn about atomic composition and the properties of matter. They will also distinguish between chemical and physical changes in matter and investigate how thermal energy transfer affects particle motion in matter. This course examines the relationship between potential and kinetic energy as the student explores how mass and speed affect energy transfer. Additionally, the student will discover how different types of waves transmit light, sound, and other forms of energy both in the presence and absence of matter. Throughout the course, the student will engage in activities that promote critical thinking, explore increasingly complex conceptual relationships, and encourage them to be curious about the world they live in and explore ways to test and apply their ideas.
Gifted and Talented. Students should also enroll in Gifted and Talented Literature Study along with this course.
Connections Education LLC dba Pearson Virtual Schools USA, its schools and affiliates use information technology as a means of providing equality of opportunity to the greatest number of people, including people with disabilities. Connections aims to create a culture of accessibility through education. Connections is committed to working with the schools it supports in developing accessible websites and other electronic information to the Technical Standards and principles set forth in Section 508 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Federal law requires all public schools to provide students, regardless of disability, with an equal opportunity to participate in and benefit from the school’s education program. Students have 24-hour assistance in LMS and technical support.
Student participation in this course is documented by the following:
- Coursework submissions recorded by the learning management system.
- Participation verified by the virtual education teacher for time spent working offline.
- Academic-based communication between the student and virtual education teacher or learning coach and virtual education teacher.
- Synchronous time with the class, a group or the virtual education teacher recorded by the learning management system or teacher.
- The virtual education teacher verifies participation in the course 1-3 times a week.
- Virtual education teacher verifies participation 1 to 3 times weekly