In Social Studies 1 B, the student will focus on how people in communities work together for the benefit of all. In this course, the student will learn about the various ways individuals contribute to their communities. The concept of good citizenship is woven throughout the course as the student learns about caring for the earth's environment. The student will continue working on geography skills and explore different cultures and traditions. The course ends with a study of time and the changes in life throughout history. The student will build reading, listening, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills through the course activities. The course text is Pearson’s my World Social Studies: Making Our Way workbook. To learn more about communities, the student will explore maps, photographs, illustrations, music, and other resources. Multimedia resources, including videos and interactive websites, enhance and support the content.
Connections Education LLC dba Pearson Virtual Schools USA, its schools and affiliates use information technology as a means of providing equality of opportunity to the greatest number of people, including people with disabilities. Connections aims to create a culture of accessibility through education. Connections is committed to working with the schools it supports in developing accessible websites and other electronic information to the Technical Standards and principles set forth in Section 508 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Federal law requires all public schools to provide students, regardless of disability, with an equal opportunity to participate in and benefit from the school’s education program. Students have 24-hour assistance in LMS and technical support.
Student participation in this course is documented by the following:
- Coursework submissions recorded by the learning management system.
- Participation verified by the virtual education teacher for time spent working offline.
- Academic-based communication between the student and virtual education teacher or learning coach and virtual education teacher.
- Synchronous time with the class, a group or the virtual education teacher recorded by the learning management system or teacher.
- The virtual education teacher verifies participation in the course 1-3 times a week.
- Virtual education teacher verifies participation 1 to 3 times weekly