In this course, the student will study the history, geography, and culture of the western hemisphere. Prentice Hall's World Studies: Western Hemisphere provides the basis for the course content. The student will complete a comprehensive study of the history, geography, and cultures of the United States, Canada, and the countries of Latin America. These countries will be studied with regard to their political divisions, natural resources, economies, population distribution, climates, and landforms. The student will also examine the relationship between human actions and conditions on Earth. The student will examine such current issues as overpopulation, poverty in developing nations, and problems plaguing cities. All of these issues are studied within the context of world geography.
Connections Education LLC dba Pearson Virtual Schools USA, its schools and affiliates use information technology as a means of providing equality of opportunity to the greatest number of people, including people with disabilities. Connections aims to create a culture of accessibility through education. Connections is committed to working with the schools it supports in developing accessible websites and other electronic information to the Technical Standards and principles set forth in Section 508 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Federal law requires all public schools to provide students, regardless of disability, with an equal opportunity to participate in and benefit from the school’s education program. Students have 24-hour assistance in LMS and technical support.
Student participation in this course is documented by the following:
- Coursework submissions recorded by the learning management system.
- Participation verified by the virtual education teacher for time spent working offline.
- Academic-based communication between the student and virtual education teacher or learning coach and virtual education teacher.
- Synchronous time with the class, a group or the virtual education teacher recorded by the learning management system or teacher.
- The virtual education teacher verifies participation in the course 1-3 times a week.
- Virtual education teacher verifies participation 1 to 3 times weekly