Semester A: During the first semester, students will build flexibility with numbers as they master addition and subtraction facts as well as multiplication and division facts. Students will understand relationships between addition and subtraction, multiplication and addition and multiplication and division as they learn to borrow, carry, and regroup in order to find sums and differences of two whole numbers up to 10,000. Students will also comprehend the place value of base ten numbers up to 1,000,000 in order to find patterns and make estimations. Lastly, they will implement a 4-step approach to solving problems and express numbers differently including translating them into Roman Numerals or expressing them as ordinal numbers. Semester B: During the second semester, students will explore concepts of measurement including linear measurement, weight, volume, temperature, and time. They will also recognize, compare, and convert fractions. Students will write amounts of money and make change using as few coins as possible. Lastly, students will examine lines, polygons, and solid figures as they are introduced to basic concepts of geometry.
Tutoring/help w/ district coach and/or other district educators, Text to speech K-12, Canvas Accessibility checker, Language tool for ELL, Accommodations and modifications to students with IEPS and 504s
Student participation in this course is documented by the following:
- Student active time in course logged by the learning management system.
- Coursework submissions recorded by the learning management system.
- Academic-based communication between the student and virtual education teacher or learning coach and virtual education teacher.
- When this course is taken by a student in a school with a district-assigned learning coach, seat time attendance may be used to document participation.
- The virtual education teacher verifies participation in the course 1-3 times a week.
- A student is expected to meet progress requirements for the course weekly (flexibility- for example: student can choose to complete weekly progress for a course earlier in the week)