This course is designed to enable all students at the middle school level to develop a deep understanding of math objectives and leaves students ready for algebra. The first semester covers objectives in transformations, linear equations, systems of equations, and functions. The second semester focuses on scientific notation, roots, the Pythagorean Theorem and volume, and statistics and probability. The course is based on the Common Core State Standards Initiative and on a modern understanding of student learning in mathematics.
semester 1 math - 8th grade
Student participation in this course is documented by the following:
- Student active time in course logged by the learning management system.
- Course Progress monitored using Course Progress Report. If student is Off Pace, logged time is examined using Learner Daily Usage Report.
- If a student has not met participation thresholds for being considered present as tracked in LMS for the week, but virtual education teacher can confirm that the student has an IEP, and the student has satisfied what was required according to the IEP, the student will be counted present.
- The virtual education teacher verifies participation in the course 1-3 times a week.
- Once a week, Course Progress checked. If student is Off Pace, logged time is checked. If less than 150 minutes (for a typical 5 in-session days week), for a single course enrollment, logged time on all virtual courses is considered. If student combined logged time for all virtual courses is less than number of virtual courses enrolled in for the week multiplied by 150 (for example, for a student enrolled in 4 virtual courses, the threshold would be 4x150=600 minutes), student is considered absent for the week for the course. Consideration of total time logged for all virtual courses is to allow for students to concentrate on a subset of virtual courses.