This course introduces students to a broad set of big ideas: creative development, data, algorithms and programming, computing systems and networks, and the impact of computing. Additionally, this course emphasizes the use of computational thinking practices for effective learning experiences and problem solving. In this course, students will learn to design and evaluate solutions and to apply computer science to solve problems through the development of algorithms and programs. They will incorporate abstraction into programs and use data to discover new knowledge. Students will also explain how computing innovations and computing systems, including the Internet, work, explore their potential impacts, and contribute to a computing culture that is collaborative and ethical. Students will need to access to Python to complete this course.
Internet access, Computer, paper, pencil, household items, and appropriate text.
Pacing of the content is set. The course content and LMS are available with the URL and personal password. Students can access course content 24 hours a day, 7 days a week where the internet is accessible.
Student participation in this course is documented by the following:
- Student active time in course logged by the learning management system.
- Coursework submissions recorded by the learning management system.
- Attendance verified weekly by teacher.
- Participation verified by the virtual education teacher for time spent working offline.
- Academic-based communication between the student and virtual education teacher or learning coach and virtual education teacher.
- Participation time will be recorded by weekly attendance and or cumulative progress.
- Synchronous time with the class, a group or the virtual education teacher recorded by the learning management system or teacher.
- When this course is taken by a student in a school with a district-assigned learning coach, seat time attendance may be used to document participation.
- The virtual education teacher verifies participation in the course 1-3 times a week.
- Estimated time to complete course is 50-100 hours. Teacher verification of participation weekly. Some form of weekly communication between student/parent and teacher via phone, zoom, email or in person.