The Classic Novels mini-courses give students the opportunity to fully explore a large work of fiction or to be introduced to a celebrated author. Designed to stand alone or to be inserted into an existing Edgenuity course, each mini-course guides students through the work with lectures, web activities, journals, and homework/practice. Students study the following novels: 1984, A Midsummer Nightís Dream, Call of the Wild, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Heart of Darkness, Jane Eyre, Macbeth, Mrs. Dalloway, Portrait of the Artist, Robinson Crusoe, The House of Seven Gables, The Red Badge of Courage, and The Three Musketeers along with the following author studies: Jorge Luis Borges and Flannery OíConnor.
Internet access, Computer, paper, pencil, household items, and appropriate text.
Pacing of the content is set. The course content and LMS are available with the URL and personal password. Students can access course content 24 hours a day, 7 days a week where the internet is accessible.
Student participation in this course is documented by the following:
- Student active time in course logged by the learning management system.
- Coursework submissions recorded by the learning management system.
- Attendance verified weekly by teacher.
- Participation verified by the virtual education teacher for time spent working offline.
- Academic-based communication between the student and virtual education teacher or learning coach and virtual education teacher.
- Participation time will be recorded by weekly attendance and or cumulative progress.
- Synchronous time with the class, a group or the virtual education teacher recorded by the learning management system or teacher.
- When this course is taken by a student in a school with a district-assigned learning coach, seat time attendance may be used to document participation.
- The virtual education teacher verifies participation in the course 1-3 times a week.
- Estimated time to complete course is 50-100 hours. Teacher verification of participation weekly. Some form of weekly communication between student/parent and teacher via phone, zoom, email or in person.